Principles of This System
Accidents Happen…To Be Preventable!® is a system (which started as a concept) developed by Milton Jacobs, a Certified Safety Professional (CSP). Its purpose is to provide organizations and their employees with tools and resources designed to change the way they “look at” and approach workplace safety and accident prevention. It’s primary tenet is that safety begins with your mindset.
The concept and now process arose out of the fact that Milton noted a remarkable difference between the number of unabated hazards at his clients whose management and employees exhibited the mindset that “Accidents Happen” (and there is nothing that can be done about it) as compared to the hazards that existed at those clients whose management and employee’s exhibited the mindset that Accidents are preventable and there is something that can be done about preventing them. Additionally, there was a marked difference in the type and frequency of safety and health education performed by those clients with the mindset, “Accidents Don’t Just Happen”.
The process has gone through many iterations over the past 20 years but it is based on 5 key principles/steps as outlined below. The process can be used in all major industries, because its primary focus in on changing mindsets and addressing major risks versus compliance.
Outcomes / Objectives of This System
The primary objective is to assist clients along their path of accident prevention. This is not a compliance based process and cannot be used as one. Its primary outcomes are to:
- Obtain management “buy in” that safety is something we do both on and off the job (Home Meets Work ®)
- Educate the team about site- specific risks and how these risks affect them personally
- Show how negative mindsets can have an affect on injury prevention as well as productivity and quality
- Change the supervisor’s and employee’s perception of safety
- Establish a follow up process to “checkup” on mindsets and the injury prevention process
Accidents Happen…To Be Preventable!® Main Steps:
1. Assess, prioritize, and control major accident risks
2. Migrate from just compliance to prevention with compliance
3. Empower supervisory and employee daily managing of risks and looking out for each other
4. Educate often & on the importance of mindset (the most important tool in the tool kit) and using mindful safety techniques
5. Use targeted inspections, coaching, and measure key indicators including mindset
Please contact Safety Solution Consultants, Inc. to further discuss this process and how it can work for your organization.